Thursday, May 16, 2019

Give the cyclist some room

Pic: Tookapic/pexels
The following note was sent in by a local resident, writes Brian Byrne. It is self explanatory, but perhaps a message to motorists using our local busy roads. As an occasional cyclist myself, I can understand his thoughts.

"With the recent nice weather I have decided to go back out on my road bicycle as it's so pleasant. Though I have only been out last Thursday and yesterday I have experienced three examples of extreme poor driving on these two occasions. This is making me question if it’s worth pursuing cycling any longer. 
Last Thursday I was cycling from Brannockstown torward Carnalway and on the straight a red car which was a Skoda passed so close to me that I could feel the air passing between us. This was done deliberately as the section of road that I was on was long and flat and the driver could see that there weren't any other cars approaching. As I approached the bridge that crosses the river the driver was pulled in, I stopped and said to him that he should watch his driving and his response was to laugh it off and think its funny. 
Last night I had a Audi 4x4 pass very close to me on the way into Brannockstown. Again this section of road though it was windy you could see again that there weren't any vehicles. Finally on my way into Kilcullen last night just opposite the business park on the Naas side of the town a commercial jeep pulled the same stunt. This time it was even closer and I could have easily touched the vehicle. Again there weren't any vehicles approaching and this was completely uncalled for. 
All of these examples of driving were by men and on sections of road where they could see far ahead. I can’t see why people think it is okay to drive like this.

Maybe if these people went out on a cycle and they experienced what I did they may think differently."

(Name and address with Editor.)

Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy