Sunday, July 23, 2023

Kilcullen time was 'very happy' - Fr Martin

Nessa Dunlea, Fr Martin, Nancy Fitzpatrick, Howard Berney and Fr Gary.

“Let’s be glad for the times we’ve spent together …”
Fr Martin Harte quoted lines from the song ‘For the Good Times’ when he said his final mass in Kilcullen today after a dozen years of service here, writes Brian Byrne
In his homily he described his time in Kilcullen as a very happy one, finding people to be ‘very kind, very caring and generous, and very compassionate to me’.
“I got to know many of you, both young and old, and it has been a wonderful experience,” he said, recalling family celebrations of baptisms, first communions, weddings and graduations from the local schools. “I have wonderful memories of those occasions, and I remember the sad occasions as well, when a family member of yours died. I knew many of those people too, so I also have a sense of sadness today as I leave, for those people who have a special place in my heart over the years.”
Fr Martin paid particular tributes to parish sacristan Nancy Fitzpatrick, and Norah Breslin who had been the parish organist for over 50 years, now retired and soon to celebrate a significant birthday. “She was always so kind and caring to me, and I’d also like to thank the choirs over the years for their beautiful singing.”
He thanked the former and present members of the Parish Office ‘for putting up with me’, his colleague priests during his time Fr Murphy, Fr Mackey and Fr Darby for their support, and also the parishioners generally for their generosity to him. “I’ve been sort of overwhelmed over the last few weeks by the beautiful cards and gifts, some beautiful thoughts that you have written, which are very encouraging as I continue to my new parish in Dublin. You will be very much in my prayers and in my thoughts — I really enjoyed my time here in a lovely parish and I’m sad to be leaving.”
Fr Gary Darby expressed his own thanks to Fr Martin on behalf of himself, the Parish Council, and the parishioners. “I appreciate that today is a difficult one for him, a sad day, but also a day to be thankful to God for the 12 years he spent amongst yourselves. We wish him every blessing for the future.”
A presentation was made to Fr Martin from the parishioners, and at a reception in the Parish Centre afterwards he cut a cake to mark the occasion and mingled with many who had come to wish him a personal farewell.
Some of the photos of the morning are posted here. All the Diary's pictures can be found here













Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy