Sunday, March 29, 2020

Walking the Domino Trail

OK, those of you who know me around town will be aware that I like to get a walk in fairly regularly, and that I stride out quite strongly, writes Brian Byrne.

Given that I'm in the 'cocoon' age group, it now means I can't do that for the foreseeable Covid-19 future.

So I've set up a circuit in our garden and around the house, around the car at one end and the garden furniture at the other. I call it the Domino Trail. Why? Read on ...

I've worked out from my first 'walkabout' last evening that 28 laps of this circuit equals about 4.5 kilometres. Which would be close enough to my regular tramps around town.

The tricky part is counting them. Especially since one of the advantages of a walk is that it gives the chance to settle the mind, let unwelcome thoughts leave and nice ones flow in. If I have to keep count of laps, it gets in the way of that.

So I put a set of 28 dominoes in one pocket of my jacket, and at the end of each lap I transfer one domino to another pocket. When they've all been transferred, I've had my walk.

We'll see how this works out for the long haul ... I'll be either barmy or very fit.

Or both.

Beat Covid-19, Stay At Home. 


Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy