Monday, September 16, 2019

Stop. Think. Check.

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels.
Three short words, but a they're the important part of a short guide to being media smart, available from the National Youth Council of Ireland, writes Brian Byrne.

Be Media Smart is aimed at helping all readers of social media to take a closer look at what they're being fed on their screens. The NYCI is involved because young people are possibly the most heavily invested in the fast-churning tide of today's information and entertainment media.

But it's a guide for everyone. Which is why the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and the Media Literacy Ireland group which it facilitates are partners with the youth group in Be Media Smart.

The guide is simple, just four double-spaced pages. As a longtime journalist I'd urge everyone reading this blog to download it and read it. Even with half a century of this work gone through dozens of my typewriters and keyboards, it was a useful reminder of what I should always do myself. What I hope I always do.

Stop. Think. Check.

Read it.

Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy