Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Jimmer responds to 'Picnic' comment

I just wanted to comment on the response from 'anonymous' about the entertainment that was organised by myself at the Riverfest 2014, writes Jimmer Kelly.

Every year except for the first year (2010) that I have been organising the stage, I have had six bands or artists with members from Kilcullen each year. Even if maybe only one member has or had an address there, this is something I have insisted on. It's our festival so why bring any music or entertainment from outside the town when we have plenty to fill the line-up? This year I had two bands that are and have been attending the Cross and Passion College, The Pulse between 1pm-2pm and Fenton Blue from 5.15pm till close of the festival. Both bands thanked me for the opportunity to be apart of it and has asked to play again next year.

If the primary school had any musicians I would be happy to give them the opportunity to get on stage and perform. I had my own nephews on the stage each year to perform and I considered organizing a singing competition to fill this place as my nephews did not want to perform this year but how do you pick a winner? If the parents come to me and ask for the opportunity for their kids to perform for the town I would happily do something for them, I would only love to see children on that stage.

I take great care in placing these bands on the line-up as not to have a more accomplished band on before a less experienced band as this can cause confidence issues and I don't want that for anyone willing to play for us.

The opinion of 'anonymous' I find harsh, calling it a 'mini Electric Picnic' as these the bands of the town. I feel that if I was to ask bands from outside the town, of which I know plenty and I'm sure they would jump at the chance, then the interest from the locals would surely fade.

The alcohol and rubbish from the people attending is expected, that's why the committee organises a clean-up as soon as the festival finishes. Did anyone ask the off-licence if they would prefer to only sell minerals and water? Or if the pubs would keep the punters indoors so not to have the street littered with drinkers on a festival Sunday?

If anyone wants to be on the stage next year all they need to do is ask. I have never denied anyone from Kilcullen a chance to play and I only ring bands when I don't have spaces filled. I would love a bigger variety of singers/performers/bands but I don't know how to get this in our town. The majority of Kilcullen musicians love rock and roll and I can't do anything about that, it's the hand Ive been dealt.

I hope this explains how the stage is organized and how I intend to keep Kilcullen musicians on the line-up for the Riverfest.