Sunday, July 03, 2005

No pictures, please, we're circus

The Diary was rather bemused yesterday afternoon when it went along to take a couple of pictures of the indoor circus that is performing in the Community Sport & Recreation Complex over the weekend.

I was up in the gallery, camera in hand, waiting for the intermission to end, when I was approached by a circus member and told 'no photographs'.

"I'm local press. Thought I'd give you a bit of publicity."

"No, no photographs."

"Well, would you like to tell me something about your circus?"

"Ah, no. It's all right."

I never force myself, or my services, on anyone. So I shrugged and left.

Strange, though, an entertainment operation that eschews publicity. Especially as there were only a score or so of customers to the afternoon show. Half of whom, it seemed, left at the intermission.

Hope they did better for the evening show. And they're also performing this afternoon and tonight, according to their posters.

Pity I can't show you pictures. They have a rather nice indoor setup. Maybe you might like to go along anyway.

Brian Byrne.