Thursday, February 15, 2024

Billy helps Congo peacekeeping researcher

Billy with Ellen Resnick and some of his memorabilia.

Kilcullen's own Billy Redmond has contributed to a piece of academic research on Ireland's peacekeeping role in the former Belgian Congo during the 1960s, writes Brian Byrne.
He met up by appointment in Kilcullen Parish Centre with Ms Ellen Bresnick from Chicago, currently on a Fulbright scholarship in Trinity College Dublin, and writing a book on the Congo period. As a member of the first Irish battalion to serve with the UN mission, the 32nd BN, and subsequently with the 36 BN and the final Second Infantry Group, Billy was well placed to help her out.
"Sure I was in my element talking my head off about this little piece of history," he told the Diary. "I also had some of my memorabilia from the tours to show her, which I have kept for 64 years. Thankfully I still have quite a good memory."
Ms Bresnick will be having an Irish launch of her book later in the year.  



Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy