Saturday, August 04, 2018

Kilcullen's architectural heritage

Clockwise from top left: Nolans, Moloneys, corn mill, Liffeybank, and the Old Courthouse. Pics from NIAH.
There are 36 properties or structures in Kilcullen which are listed in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, writes Brian Byrne.

The survey was carried out in the period around 2000, and includes residences, shops, pubs, the bridge, gateways, churches, schools, street furniture, New Abbey graveyard, and a post-box.

Looking back at usage, ownership and state of repair in 2003 makes interesting comparisons over the intervening 18 years. Some remain as were, others have changed hands or tenants, some properties which were derelict have been restored, and a number have become derelict.

There are some interesting omissions, notably to this writer's mind being the Hideout as a crossroads prime building since 1855, and the former Hibernian Bank opposite the market square. It could be argued that the Garda Station should also be included as a very good example of its kind.

The Building Survey is the core work of the NIAH, which is a service provided by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and was established in 1999. The survey is ongoing and its purpose is to highlight a representative sample of the architectural heritage of each county and to raise awareness of the wealth of architectural heritage in Ireland. The NIAH has also carried out surveys of gardens in Ireland.

The majority of buildings included in the Building Survey are privately owned and are not open to the public.

In addition to recording and evaluating the country's post-1700 architectural heritage, the surveys are used as the basis for recommendations to planning authorities from the Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.

Over the next while, the Diary will rephotograph the Kilcullen inventory to highlight some of the changes.

Kilcullen Diary Policy on Photographs. Kilcullen Diary Privacy Policy.