Brazil families celebrate in Kilcullen garden
My name is Roberta, and I am from São Paulo, Brazil. My little one, Lorenzo (4 years old), and my husband, Tivadar, have been living in Kilcullen since 2023.
I have been living in Ireland since 2017. Although the Irish people are very friendly, I am still searching for fellow Brazilians to help me cope with homesickness and to pass on our culture, language, and traditions to our little one.
To my knowledge, there are around 23 Brazilian families in Kilcullen. Today [Saturday], at our party in the library, we met [Brazilian] people from Kilcullen, Kildare, Newbridge, and Monasterevin.
I owe a great deal to the Kilcullen community. I truly feel at home here and am very grateful to you all. I especially want to thank Martín and Ita today, who were very kind to let us meet up in the library.
The Festa Junina celebrates the bountiful harvest and honours three Catholic saints: Saint Anthony (13th June), Saint John (24th June), and Saint Peter (29th June). The tradition also has origins in ancient European summer solstice celebrations, blending religiosity, bonfires, square dances, and typical foods.
Brought by Portuguese colonisers, the celebration gained a strong national identity by mixing Catholic faith with elements of indigenous and Afro-Brazilian cultures, as well as emphasising rural life and cuisine.
The event has become one of the most vibrant cultural festivals in the country, renowned for its checkered costumes, colourful flags, fairs, and dishes made with corn and peanuts.
Nowadays, the religious aspect is less prominent, but the festivities still continue.
Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy














.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)


.jpeg)












