Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Tracey reflects on a councillor's life

Tracey cutting sod for the Pinkeen pedestrian bridge, and as Leas-Cathaoirleach of KCC.

"I never expected it to be so full-on, as in the seven days-24 hours kind of job that you could get a call at any time."
 
When Cllr Tracey O'Dwyer was elected to Kildare County Council just over four and half years ago, she recalls not knowing at all what to expect, writes Brian Byrne. "Except that I hadn't expected to be elected in the first place, really," she told the Diary as she contemplates the chances of a second term, again under the Fine Gael banner. "But it has been a phenomenal experience, and I have absolutely loved it."
Her first term nearly done, and hopeful for re-election so that she can complete a list of projects she brought to the job in June 2019, Tracey has no doubts about the high points of her last 55 months. "It's the people. The people I've met as constituents, the people I've worked with in the Council, and my own community which has been so supportive ... and at the same time not afraid to tell me a few home truths and keep me grounded. The laughs we have shared, and sometimes the tears, the people are definitely the highlight for me."
The councillor is equally clear on the downsides in the job. "It's the frustrations that I've felt when things don't go as quickly as they should. When projects are slowed because of bureaucracy and red tape. Mostly because of government policies, or changes in policies that mean a project cut off before it's finished. The erosion of the power of local authorities, and obstructions often put in their way by government can be just like having to do a job with one hand tied behind our back." She is also critical of the 'shifting of goalposts' by state departments which makes longer-term projects 'very hard to plan'.
By nature Tracey O'Dwyer is a 'people person', which has probably stood to her in the political arena of the Council chamber. But politicisation at local representative level was something of a surprise. "I don't come from a political background, which was probably a good thing. But I may have been somewhat naive going in, thinking that we were all always working together for those who put us there. After about a year I had realised the extent of the politics. If an issue becomes contentious in Council, it is usually politics and point scoring. But most of the time we get on with the work when it matters, which I believe is the important thing."
Tracey with local business people at a meeting she arranged with Minister Neale Richmond and Martin Heydon.

A councillor's job is a lot of things, from arranging for the repairs to roads to helping people with applications for housing, to getting pedestrian crossings and bridges built, and all the way through to giving their view on major long term local area and county plans. Tracey O'Dwyer is very clear on the value of councillors' input into such key decisions. "It's hugely important. As councillors dealing with our own areas and the people for whom we work, we know the real issues on the ground. Our input into LAPs and the County plan makes sure that they are real documents for people, and not written at such a high level that all they do is gather dust on a shelf somewhere. We bring community and people's lives to the discussions, which bring those documents to life." But do those who elect their councillors appreciate the work done on their behalf? Tracey O'Dwyer believes that they do, though they may not completely understand the role of the local public representatives. "Until you're in it, there's no way you can understand it. I didn't until I got into the job, and I'm still learning about it every day more than four years later."
The upcoming election on the face of it could be a distraction over the next five months for those seeking re-election. Tracey O'Dwyer will be doing the requisite door-to-door canvas for votes between now and June. "But from the day you're elected, I think you're always canvassing. You're working on behalf of all those in your electoral area, you're checking if what they need is being done. You watch how Council spending is being allocated and you make sure that your area is getting its share. In fringe areas like Kilcullen and Brannockstown, where I'm from, it's very important to have a councillor representing them. It brings focus, it brings money — if I'm not sitting at the table, banging my fist and looking for that money for my people, it will go elsewhere."
Tracey with the Kilcullen Lions cinema group.

Tracey still has a list of things that she wants done for her area. They're on an Excel spreadsheet that she brought to the Council on her first day in the job. "My MD engineer laughed and said I was the only councillor she knew who used a spreadsheet. But that's my list, and I've been sticking to it, chipping away at it for the last four years. As well as doing all the day to day reactive stuff, I'm still working off that list, and I'm hoping that I'll be re-elected to make sure everything on it gets finished."
Tracey with Eleanor McEvoy at the launch of Brigid 1500 programme.

So, looking back at four and a half years, would she recommend the job to others, especially young people coming up? "Yes, I absolutely would. But it's a huge commitment, and if you have a family they have to buy into it too. There's a time in your life when it suits you, and that's different for everyone. But it is hugely rewarding." She freely admits the experience has 'upended her life', and the life of her family. But she has absolutely no regrets. "It upended us in a good way. It has enriched our lives and it has also given us an appreciation of how lucky we are."
NOTE: This article was first published in The Kildare Nationalist.

Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy