Sunday, December 17, 2023

Letter To The Editor: Walk in my shoes


Following the installation of the new metal fencing around the Soccer Pitch in the Complex grounds, and, not forgetting the shutting off of the grand pathway on the eastern side near the wall etc, I have a proposal to make to whoever is in charge of all these developments, writes Billy Redmond. When the pathway was removed I thought seriously about voicing my concern for the following reasons. 
Firstly it was easily accessible, free of vehicular, bicycles, scooters traffic etc, very secure as a walker could view the entire pathway from any point, hence very safe. All on the flat, and indeed since I walked it weekly, I noted the many others who availed of this facility, some with mobility problems and a fair sprinkling like myself getting my share of physical activity without worry. Anyway I didn’t speak out at the time. However, now with the installation of this metal fence I feel my movement has been, once again, restricted. 
What a legacy the Cross and Passion Sisters left to this Community, all the land etc, which has been put to very good use, tho mostly for the benefit for younger generations, quite rightly. Mind you, there are quite a few Senior Citizens still around, and, to my knowledge, very little in the way of facilities for these people in Kilcullen, with most, if not all the facilities geared towards younger generations. So who knows what other restrictions are coming down the track for us Senior Citizens! 

My proposal is this: As a walker enters from the Nicholastown side with this new fence on the left, move to the end of the fence, turn left, down to the end, turn right at the all weather pitch and on down to the children’s school and right again back up the path to the place of entry. Since the area around the all weather pitch is mainly grass it would need some attention to upgrade it to replace the above-mentioned walk. What a gesture to us Senior Citizens that would be. A grand safe place to walk.
ED NOTE: Billy would normally elucidate his thoughts in his Off the Cuff column in The Bridge magazine. But as there won't be another Bridge until February 2024, we provided space here on the Diary for this contribution.

Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy