Thursday, July 23, 2020

Martin passes party chairmanship to Richard Bruton

Photo: Courtesy Minister of State Martin Heydon.
Minister of State Martin Heydon has relinquished chairmanship of the Fine Gael Parliamentary Party to colleague Richard Bruton TD.

He was appointed to the role four years ago when Enda Kenny was party leader and was the first Kildare person to hold the position.

He chaired they party through the developing Brexit saga representing the party at EPP events across Europe and through a leadership contest in 2017 as well as local, European and a General elections. He also chaired meetings, policy discussions and members briefings remotely throughout the ensuing Covid crisis.

"It was one of the highlights of my political career to be selected by my colleagues to serve in this role," he says. "I wish Richard well in his term ahead. I have no doubt he’ll be a great chairman. Thanks to the many members, staff and friends who I’ve worked with in the role, and I'm looking forward to continuing that close contact in my new role as Minister of State."

Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy