Thursday, January 24, 2019

Antoinette selected as FF candidate for local elections

Kilcullen resident and community activist Antoinette Buckley has been selected by Fianna Fáil head office as a candidate for the Newbridge Local Electoral Area in the local elections next May, writes Brian Byrne.

The Diary has received the following press release from Antoinette, which gives a full background into her community work and aspirations for Kilcullen.

I am absolutely delighted to have been selected by Fianna Fáil to contest next May’s local elections for the Newbridge/Kilcullen area and will give my full commitment to the task ahead in securing a seat in Kildare County Council to represent and be a strong voice for my area.

A native of Newbridge, My late dad George Prendergast, a great family man, was always involved in the Community affairs in our hometown. He set up the Newbridge Community Band many years ago through his expertise, passion and love for music. I grew up and went to school in Newbridge but moved to Kilcullen over 23yrs ago, which is where my mother’s family are from. My late grandmother Mary (Molly) Conroy was heavily involved in the community of Kilcullen and had the honour of having Conroy Park called after her because of her work to secure housing for working families in the area.

I live in Kilcullen with my husband Jim and son Jamie , both of whom are heavily involved with the local GAA. My background is very much in both business and the community. I have been involved in retail all my business life and have a great understanding of business in the current climate.

In our local community I am currently the Chairperson of Kilcullen Market Square Redevelopment Project which secured a 200k grant in collaboration with KCC in October from the Town and Village Renewal Scheme Grant. A fantastic boost for the town. I am also involved with the Tidy Town’s, Kilcullen Community Action, Teach na nDaoine Project and the 700th Year Anniversary of Kilcullen Bridge 2019 committee.

The Christmas and Easter Markets Shop Local campaign is an initiative in which I am one of the main organisers and whose goal is to showcase the local businesses in Kilcullen. I am presently leading an initiative to create a Fairy Trail through our community Riverside Park (The Valley) which will be launched on Sat 9th March. All of these projects are about promoting and increasing footfall into Kilcullen which in turn improves the local economy.

Community driven, I get involved in as many projects in Kilcullen as possible. We have been lacking any form of local representation at council level, not having had a councillor from the town since 1960. This has been a huge drawback in terms of getting funding and resources for the town and surrounding areas which are home to about 6,000 people.

Somebody living outside the town cannot have their finger on the pulse of the community in the same way as someone living in the town. This is why Kilcullen absolutely needs its own Public Representative.

Working together to build better communities, whilst protecting future commercial life of the town is all about being on the ground and knowing what’s going on.

Although Kilcullen will form a large part of my focus if elected, I am also hugely enthused about working for the people of Newbridge and surrounding areas on all issues that come before me.

I have the passion, energy, drive and look forward to the challenge ahead and promise to work hard for the Newbridge LEA. I look forward to working with our local TD Fiona O’Loughlin and Fianna Fáil candidates Noel Heavey, Robert Power and Murty Aspell. Many thanks to my friends, family, and colleagues for all their support.


Photographs use Policy — Privacy Policy