Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Our new swans in Kilcullen

Some of you may have seen my mention of a new pair of swans on the Liffey as observed during the funeral of the late Donal and Virginia St Leger in New Abbey Cemetery, writes Brian Byrne.

Well, courtesy of Tommy Bardon, here they are. New to the river, not much beyond the cygnet stage, and a symbol I hope of a good future for life on the Liffey. We're not sure yet how locals Siobhan and Siobhan Swan are reacting to the arrival of neighbours.

(Or could they be actually their cygnets, which we thought were gone to predators? If anyone knows, maybe they'd tell us.)

Thanks, Tommy. I went out on Sunday with my camera looking for them, but failed. It's totally appropriate that you didn't. And I'm really glad of the proof that it wasn't my imagination on the day ...