Sunday, October 09, 2005

Ballymore debut for Eric Taylor

Up until about two weeks ago the name Eric Taylor was just an entry in my gig diary. I knew the name from somewhere, but could recall nothing of the man who carries it around.

Then it came to me - I had seen his name listed in the song credits of albums by Lyle Lovett and Nanci Griffith. But I had never heard the man sing his own songs.

Larry Roddy, promoter of the Ballymore Inn gigs, gave me a copy of Taylor's 2001 CD 'Scuffletown' and before I got half way through it I had that feeling of familiarity that usually only accompanies old favourite albums.

A master lyricist, Taylor writes from personal experience for the most part, and frames his beautifully crafted songs with a common touch that makes them both accessible and thought provoking - no easy feat.

His guitaring is a comforting blend of roots, folk and blues. Indeed he spent several years playing in the company of Lightning Hopkins, one of the all time blues greats. Add to all this a smoke and whiskey vocal and Eric Taylor is the real deal.

He plays the Ballymore Inn next Monday, October 10.
I'm due to be at my work's Annual Conference in Wexford from Monday to Wednesday, but I'm coming up specially on Monday night to do the sound for the gig and head straight back down. I have a good feeling about this one, I think this guy is something special and I don't want to miss him. Maybe you'll join me ...
 
More info on Eric Taylor from his official website. More info about Ballymore Inn gigs from Larry Roddy at 045 864017.
 
Roy Thompson.