Saturday, September 20, 2014

A family memory of Dorcas House

Lovely to see the picture of Dorcas House posted online, writes Barbara Mullen Lavery. My late father Fred Mullen (1915-1987) lived there with his aunt Eliza O'Brien for a short time circa early 1924.

Eliza O'Brien was born in 1855 and married Thomas Grady, a tailor, of Dorcas House, Kilcullen on 1 June 1899. She gave her occupation as domestic servant and address as Kinneigh. I understand from our family archives that there was a Kinneigh House near Kilcullen so this perhaps is the connection.

Dorcas House figures a lot in Mullen family lore, as children my older siblings and cousins would go to visit. When my father Fred Mullen (later to become Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1973 and also deputy Lord Mayor in the 50s) came back from living in England in 1924 they reputably spent a few months in Kilcullen while accommodation was being arranged in Dublin. He worked as a youngster on a local a farm in the summer.

My father's family settled in Dublin 3. A telegram (I believe we still have it) arrived in Seaview Avenue, Dublin 3, from Eliza at Kilcullen dated 24th Sept 1928 stating "Mother is dying, come at once" . This would have been my great grandmother Sarah Walsh. Presumably she was living with her daughter Eliza in Dorcas House.

As a child in the 60s we often drove out to Kilcullen and my father would point the house out to us. I have been meaning to visit Kilcullen again. I was at the Curragh on Sunday thinking about it. It's great for the locals that it is now bypassed but I haven't visited for many years.

I don't even know if Dorcas House is still standing. Unfortunately despite having a number of old photos we don't seem to have any from this time.

ED NOTE: Yes, Barbara, Dorcas House is still there, and looking very well too. I remember it well from the time the late Paddy Powell lived there.