Wednesday, September 03, 2008

James wins Transplants gold

james_nolan_printKilcullen businessman James Nolan, who just recently celebrated the 21st anniversary of his kidney transplant, won gold in golf at the European Transplant Games yesterday in in Wurzburg, Germany.

He marked his gold medal triumph by telephoning the woman who gave him the gift of life -- his sister Catherine.

“Twenty-one years ago, Catherine donated one of her kidneys to me. It gave me a new lease of life,” said James, who plays off a 23 handicap, and is a member of Rathsallagh Golf Club in Co. Kildare.

“It was a forgiving course for a handicap golfer like me, and I was very happy with how I played.”

The ladies tournament was won by Marie O’Connor, the 12-handicapper from Lahinch, Co. Clare, who earlier this year won the ladies Captain’s Prize in her own club.

Liam Horan