Monday, May 05, 2014

Memories of Capers revisited

Following last night's presentation in the Town Hall of videos of Brannockstown's entry in the 'Capers' of 1982, I figure it's time to make available again the radio documentary I did about that particular Capers, writes Brian Byrne.

You can listen to it below. (A suggestion: make a cup of coffee first, as it's 44 minutes long ... but worth every second.)

Download Brian Byrne's documentary on the last Kilcullen Community Capers show, in 1982 (44').

Also, the email I got back in 2007 from Paul Durney and posted on the Diary then is evocative of those faraway times, so I reproduce it again.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Email of Capers memories

Hello Brian,

I just spent the best part of two hours browsing your pictures and stories on the net. I have often Googled on the net for Kilcullen but the results were mostly frustrating. Anyway, what a read I had today!

Originally I was just interested in trying to see anybody I knew, but gradually you pulled me back to the heart of the town, not only with the pictures but also with the stories which for an ex-Kilcullenite are pure magic. The urge to write to you came from your article on The Capers.

This phase of my childhood is branded on my brain and soul for the rest of my life and only recently I found myself relating this remarkable chapter of my youth to my own three children here in Germany.

My wife usually rolls her eyes or goes to fetch more coffee when I start on this subject. I can’t blame her really. You have had to live it before you know what it’s about.

I lived up in Bishop Rogan Park (BRP) which made a pretty good standing throughout the Capers years. We practised in Kellys electrical shop and we were fortunate to have Mrs Martin (Monica) as our musical producer. At the time she was a dead ringer for Julie Andrews so she HAD to be musical. There were also practices at her house where she played piano.

My parents were involved too, as were my two twin brothers who one year (as 4- or 5-year olds ) raised a lot of aaahs and the roof doing a version of Rolf Harris’s ‘Two Little Boys’. In cowboy suits with a toy horse.

I can’t remember any hardline animosities between BRP and other town sections but there were indeed heavy rumours of spies stealing stories and peeking in on rehearsals. Most people thought John Brady was a double agent for Brannockstown!. Looking at the pictures now the stage backdrops were pretty weary but the day of the show was an intense experience.

We had our make-up in O’Connells Pub (The White Horse) upstairs – I think. And then we assembled at the door of the cinema before going onstage. The punters and the performers mingled together at the ‘stage door’. The booming voice of the compere coming through the walls out into the street.

There was strict silence back stage. Bangs and shouts were picked up severely by the mics. One thing I find remarkable was that the shows were being run on close circuit TV across to the pubs. I can’t ever remember watching that but I do remember the cables going over the road on the telegraph poles. The town was alive and the pubs were packed.

Most years I was in the BRP backing singers but one year I got a solo chance and done a Neil Young song, probably ‘Heart of Gold', I can’t exactly remember. I may have been nervous as I do remember Mrs Martin urging me on. Out under the hot lights with my old Ibanez. Wow.

I of course as a youngster spent quite a lot of time in the Hide Out. Coke and Space Invaders. Later on dates. Anyway, I recoqnise Kevin Doyle in one if your Capers pictures. I worked with Kevin in Berneys Saddlery. I know the other face too but I can’t get the name. The guy with the pipe is definitely Boris Becker ( :- ). Oops, been in Germany too long. The man in the picture with yourself with the trophy is maybe a Mr Mitchell though I’m not so sure on that. I do remember that the Hide Out won once or twice (maybe more?).

The Capers made way for another musical adventure with a certain Paddy Melia in which I played a minor part too. It was more organised. Maries Wedding. It travelled to Newbridge and then fizzled out. I have a particular anecdote on that too. But that's another story isn’t it ...?

I was always sad when the Capers were over. It sure united the town and it will remain a vivid memory for me. A photo collection would be interesting. I wish that Kilcullen was more active on the net as I would visit more often if it was. Nevertheless you are doing great work with your site and blog and I’m sure I’ll be back soon. Thanks for the memories.

Warm regards,

Saoirse Mhór J (Paul Durney).

Finally, some of my own Capers memories were posted on my other website some years ago.