Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Shred, don't burn?

Posters were put up around town last evening for an anti-water charges event on Nicholastown Green tomorrow, writes Brian Byrne.

The event invites people to ‘burn their water bills’ in protest against the charges regime introduced by the last Government, and currently paused pending an independent review.

As I write this, I’m listening to a report that we have just come through the 14th straight month of record increased global temperatures, due to greenhouse gases among the causes for which are generation of CO2 from burning fuels and other carbon-based materials. Like paper water bills.

Perhaps the promoters of this campaign might consider the use of a portable shredder rather than burning the bills?

After all, if I burn papers from my home or office in a public place, or even in my private yard, I’ll be fined by my local authority, if they are informed or otherwise find out about my crime. What I’m encouraged to do is shred and dispose of such material in recycle bins.

Just sayin’ …